Monday, March 5

Blast from the Past

While I was in Chicago, I spent three summers coaching Deerfield travel baseball. I had the same set of kids as 9 year olds, 10 year olds, and 11 year olds. Of the 9 or so kids who played each of those years, one of the most memorable was a lefty first baseman, named Max Sternberg. Max used to open every practice with a round of "Did You Know" from around the MLB since he was a fountain of useless baseball trivia. However, that did come in handy as he served as my unofficial bench coach from time to time when I would lose track of a rule interpretation. Having Max was better than having a copy of a rule book in the dugout and as long as he gave his insights to me and not directly to the umpire, as he did from time to time, Max was quite an asset.

Max, who is 16 and now a sophomore at Deerfield High, was in town this past weekend to play in a golf tournament at Kingsmill. He stayed with us Fri-Mon. Kristyn and I often housesat or babysat for the Sternbergs, so needless to say, she was excited to see Max as well. As you can see here, Addy took quite a liking to him too.


We took the obligatory CW stockade picture, hoping it might get him some extra credit in AP American History class back at school.

No comments: